As your roof ages, the likelihood of a roof leak increases. Despite the advances in shingle manufacturing, roofs are not indestructible. So, when the inevitable happens and it’s time for a roof repair, how do you fix a leaking roof? Here are a few tips to get a roof leak under control.
Emergency leak repair with plastic sheeting
- Unroll and unfold a section of heavy six mil polyethylene sheeting. This is commonly found in home improvement centers. You will want a piece long enough to cover the leaking area of the roof from the eaves to the peak, plus an additional 4 feet. Cut the sheeting using a utility knife. Wrap a 2 x 4 (cut to the width of the sheeting) with one end of the sheeting. Place a second 2 x 4 on top of the wrapped one. Nail or screw the two boards together, securing the sheeting in place.
- Set the sandwiched end along your roof eave (the section the gutter is attached to). Stretch the length of sheeting up and over the roof ridge and down the other side.
- Sandwich the opposite end of the sheeting between two 2 x 4s, in the same manner as the other end. The weight of the 2 x 4s will keep the plastic sheeting in place. DO NOT nail any part of the sheeting to your roof.
If you know a hole is causing a leak and you can locate the exact location of the hole, a temporary fix can be done with a piece of metal flashing.
- Lift the damaged shingle where the hole is with one hand.
- Slide a piece of 12-inch square sheet metal flashing under the shingle, covering the hole.
- Push the sheet metal back far enough to be wedged in place and lower the shingle over it.
About do-it-yourself roof repairs
Both of the techniques outlined above are temporary fixes. After completing a roof repair such as these, contact a local roofing company to assess the extent of the damage to your roof and get a more permanent repair made. Also, when conducting any roof repair, be careful. Working on a roof can be difficult and dangerous.
If your roof is leaking and has seen better days, you need a local roofing contractor you can trust. Bealing, Roofing & Exteriors, Inc., is a trusted roofing company that can get the job done right at a price you can afford. Give us a call and find out why so many people trust their homes to Bealing!